Sunday, September 6, 2020

The Band's Hohner Pianet

Earlier this year, I saw this picture the Band posted where Richard Manuel is playing a Hohner Pianet:



I found the same picture on Getty Images (with better resolution but also with a watermark).  The accompanying information says it was taken at Madison Square Garden on 29 January 1974.

[source]

Here's an-other picture of Manuel with the same Pianet (the chips in the finish match), taken at Wembley Stadium on 14 September 1974:

[source]

On tumblr, I found an-other picture from the same appearance:

[source]

I also found a few from June 1976:

[source]

The Pianet's keys are pretty much all that's visible of it in the picture above (a Mu-Tron Bi-phase and what I believe is an ARP Pro-Soloist are stacked on top of it).  Here's a wider shot:

[source]

I can't tell for sure if the Pianet here is the same as the one above (it seems to be), but all of these pictures show the N model.  The identifying features are the scissor-style legs and the connections' location on the back panel.

I think that, of the albums I have (Music from Big Pink, The Band, Stage Fright, Cahoots, Rock of Ages, Moondog Matinee, Northern Lights-Southern Cross, and The Last Waltz), the Pianet appears in only four songs:  "King Harvest (Has Surely Come)," "Caledonia Mission," "Get Up Jake," and "The Shape I'm In" on Rock of Ages.  (The Pianet has an effect applied to it for "King Harvest (Has Surely Come)" and "The Shape I'm In," ostensibly the Mu-Tron.)

I had thought that the Pianet appeared in the studio version of "The Shape I'm In" and the live versions of "The Shape I'm In" and "Ophelia" on The Last Waltz, but then I lookt more closely at this picture of Manuel's keyboards from The Last Waltz performance:

[source]

Unlike the instrument seen above, where the keys range from F to F (although, really, only the top end can be seen), the keys here range from C to C, indicating that this is a Cembalet.  While the picture is a bit dark, it's also possible to see that the right cheek block is narrower than it is on the Pianet N.  Here are the pictures from the user manuals for comparison:

Cembalet N

Pianet N

The N models of Pianet and Cembalet both had scissor-style legs, visible here on the Cembalet as it waits at the side of the stage:

[source]

The Cembalet pluckt the reeds in a more direct manner than the Pianet, and this explains the punchier sound heard in these live versions of "The Shape I'm In" and "Ophelia."  (It's worth noting that the studio version of "The Shape I'm In" features both Cembalet and Clavinet.)

At one point, I had thought that the Pianet appeared in "In a Station" and "Long Black Veil" on Music from Big Pink.  Apparently, the electric piano in "Long Black Veil" is a Wurlitzer, so it's likely that the electric piano in "In a Station" is the same instrument.  I'm pretty sure, though, that the "plinky toytown keyboard" in "In a Station" is also Cembalet.